Our library’s policies are designed to ensure that materials are returned on time, and in good condition for use by as many people as possible. Please ask library staff to help you if you need additional information. They will be happy to help.
Applying for a Library Card
- A photo ID with current address (for adults) or a piece of mail (utility bill etc.) showing a current address in our service area must be presented at time of registration.
- Your library card may be used to borrow on the day it is issued. A new card has a 3 item borrowing limit.
- Once you return your books the first time, the borrowing limit will increase to 50 items.
Your New Library Card
Your library card may be used at any public library in the New York State counties of Fulton, Hamilton, Montgomery, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren and Washington (at libraries that are members of the SALS and MVLS library systems.)
Please remember to:
- Sign your library card
- Bring your card each time you visit
- Report a lost or stolen card at once
- Inform us of changes to the following: (Name, Address, Phone Number and Email address
Loan Limits Per Card
All new borrowers are limited to 3 items for their first check out. Once you have successfully returned these items your limits are:
- 5 DVD’s per card
- 2 New/Popular books per card
- 50 total items per card
- Most Books, Children’s Books – 28 Days
- New and Popular Books and Magazines – 14 Days
- Music CDs – 14 Days
- Audio Books – 28 Days
- DVDs, Children and Adult – 14 Days
- Children’s Audio Books and Music – 28 Days
You may request renewals of your library materials either online, in person at the Circulation Desk, or by phone. Please remember that an item cannot be renewed if there are other patrons waiting for it.
Overdue Fines and Other Charges
- Overdue fines for most items is $.10 per day.
- All DVDs and VHS are $1.00 per day
- Borrowers will be charged for the replacement cost of lost items. Materials are considered lost when overdue for 60 days.
- Borrowers become delinquent when 5 or more items are overdue or when total fines reach $5.00.
- Delinquent status prevents further borrowing.
Hold requests can be placed online or with librarians at the Circulation Desk. Held materials can only be picked up using the card that was used to place the hold.
Returning materials to the library when we are closed
There are return items drop boxes at the front and rear entrances. They are open 24/7, including days the library is closed. You may also return library materials to any of the member libraries of the SALS and MVLS systems.